KUALA LUMPUR: Police has declared an immediate curfew in Lahad Datu following the gunfight which broke out between security forces and the Sulu gunmen holed up in Tanduo village since Feb 9.
It is learnt the decision was made as a precautionary measure after two police commandoes were killed today when a mortar bomb hit Kampung Tanduo, which had been turned into a fortress by a group of armed Filipino intruders here.
Deputy Head of the IGP Secretariat (Public Relations) ACP Ramli Mohamed Yoosuf said the IGP Tan Sri Ismail Omar was already in Sabah and a press conference would be held in Lahad Datu at 5pm today.
Meanwhile, a police source said the operation to weed out Filipino intruders at Kampung Tanduo, Lahad Datu, was an integrated operation carried out by police, armed forces, including the civil defence force, Komando 69 and Marine police.
It was reported earlier that a gunfight had broken out between security forces and the Sulu gunmen holed up in Tanduo village in Lahad Datu since Feb 9.
The situation in Lahad Datu was tense as many shops remained closed while residents living in the area remained indoors for fear of the current stand off between a group of Filipino intruders and the Malaysian security forces.
The Malaysian security forces had rounded up Kampung Tanduo on Feb 11, when about 150 men dressed in military attire and armed, had encroached into Malaysian waters and landed in the village on Feb 9.
Kampung Tanduo where the group was staying is a remote area situated about 130 kilometers from Lahad Datu.
The group have identified themselves as the Royal army of the Sulu Sultanate, headed by Agbimuddin Kiram.
Malaysia and the Philippines officials have had numerous negotiations with the group ever since but were futile. Bernama